Saturday, January 14, 2012

Living in peace

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; I do not give it to you as the world does. Do not let your hearts be distressed or lacking in courage." John 14:27

When Jesus told his disciples that He would be going away, He explained to them that the Holy Spirit would be coming to them from God as their helper, advocate, and to be their counselor. Through the Holy Spirit we are to have peace daily.
The peace that Christ brings to us is a gift. We can only have it when Christ comes into ours hearts. How will we respond to His gift?
We respond with acceptance of God's sovereignty over our lives. When we accept our circumstances, knowing that God plan for each of us is a good plan that is created specifically for us, we are strengthened to face all trials with courage. Using the same faith though which we received Him into our lives we can step out, facing each day in faith.
"If I'm going to have the peace of God in my heart I must accept His view of my circumstances and rest in His love and power to see me through it. " Dr. Charles Stanley

Perhaps Paul best expresses this idea best when he said:
In every circumstance I have learned the secret of contentment, whether I go satisfied or hungry, have plenty or nothing. I am able to do all things through the one who strengthens me. Philippians 4:12-13

Father,
Thank you for the Holy Spirit who provides peace to us each day of our lives. Peace no matter our circumstances. Help us to respond to Your gift of peace in the way you intended -- through our relationship with You provided by Christ. We pray in the name of Your Son. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment